The Virtual Meeting Platforms’ Dilemma
Advantages of Virtual Meeting Platforms
Virtual Meeting Platforms are here to stay and part of the New Norm. Because of lock-down take-up exploded with no turning back! Familiar names like Zoom, Skype, Teams are already known but there are many others. But which platform will suit YOUR needs? How many meetings do you want to have a week? Should they be recorded and typed up or minutes taken?
(With video recording it is easy to send the file direct to an outsourced typing provider. It is less expensive to outsource typing that use your internal staff. In addition the voice recording+transcript can then be filed away in case of dispute).
As with all technology there are advantages and disadvantages! But key to a successful meeting is the Host’s ability to hold participant attention! Unlike face-to-face meetings only one person should talk at once! Mismanagement can create a negative impact very quickly. Because of this the host must pay attention and know when to interject. With large conferences it is advisable to recruit a pro for this job! It is not as easy as it seems! A video conference is more labour intensive than a face-to-face meeting.
How Do I run a Successful Online Meeting?
- This is again a big subject. You can use the opportunity as a branding opportunity such as by using customised company backdrops! Blurring of background is popular but more sophisticated backdrops are fast becoming the Norm. Because of this the backdrop is fast developing into an excellent marketing tool!
- Style your meeting. Plan it! Not all businesses run the same but the objectives are all equal: a results-based end goal!
- Consider the best person to host the meeting. Is this you? Or perhaps someone else in your team? Depending on the importance and size of the meeting weigh up whether to hire a pro. Because there are no travel expenses this may not be as expensive as it seems.
- An ice-breaker is advantageous but beware it goes on for too long!
- Share URL links to new participants in advance to allow them to familiarize with the platform interface and features.
- Start on time! Courtesy does not end just because participants are working at home!
- Best practice suggests high concentration lasts about 30 minutes. Therefore ensure coffee breaks and/or a ‘virtual’ lunch-break! Tip: Why not impress a potential new client by having coffee delivered direct to them?
- Use features that allow individuals to be highlighted when speaking.
- Make sure everyone is paying attention to what is going on. Tip: Remote participants can get easily distracted so slides can be effective in keeping the eyes screen-focused.
- Review and follow-up on main objectives and goals to ensure that everyone remains in the loop.
What to Look for in Virtual Meeting Platforms Software?
Consider your Company’s Objectives?
Do not rush into familiar sounding brands like Zoom, Teams & Skype without considering the long-term objectives. It may be a monthly brain-storming session or a slide-dedicated presentation? Perhaps you and your team need to work on editing a document? Equally it could be providing online training to interns? What do you want to achieve ‘precisely’?
Consider some of the points below and, if necessary, draw up a tick-list of your company’s objectives and start your research.
Do you need:
Communication between team members must be easy. Some participants may need to use their PC, their iPad or their iPhone so ensure the platform can be synced with popular devices.
Working together in a team to interact and edit in real-time is amazingly successful online. But not every platform offers this opportunity.
Consider whether it is easy for a new user to create an account and log back in for use of service?
Plus the rest!
Research is vital!
Just to understand the amount of variables, as an example Google Meet does not have:
- A “mute all” button
- Change your background facility
- Breakout rooms
But it has a whiteboard facility and Google Jamboard is particularly rated!
Skype is better equipped for small companies of up to 20 employees but Microsoft Teams is set up for large-scale inclusion. More expensive is Skype for Business but, whilst it can accommodate up to 250 people, it has limitations such as:
- Security is not as robust as information is sent over the internet
- Without super fast internet connectivity playbacks can be choppy and video calls can stall
- The messaging programme is still susceptible to hacking although this is being worked upon
Just from the above you will realise just how big a subject this subject is! Consider your needs from the outset so you don’t waste time and money investing in a system that only needs replacing further down the line. Take advice if needed and read up on Google. Perhaps you are having meetings with potential customers? Perhaps this is a first introduction to your company and its product? Like any first meeting it will be vital to provide a smooth well run operation and not be reliant on good coffee and a warm hand-shake!
We recommend taking the time to research the following well know but reliable Virtual Meeting Platforms:
About OutSec the UK’s Leading Online Transcription Company
OutSec is the UK’s leading online transcription company whose business has grown substantially since 2002. We are one of the most successful transcription companies in the United Kingdom. Providing a free App that transforms your smartphone into a digital recorder you can send dictated sound files to us simply and easily. With the change of working you may wish to consider outsourcing your typing needs to save costs. By partnering with the right transcription company you can save up to 30% on your in-house typing costs. As an example you may wish to take a look at our Calculator that will analyse the true cost of your employee, not purely their salary but inclusive of all overheads. Be surprised by the results!
Increasingly we are leading more flexible lifestyles. Hot-desking and remote working is fast overtaking the standard 9-5 office. Because of this companies are increasing turning to technology to get the most out of outsourced resources.
If information, data security and confidentiality is important to you, do not just cross your fingers when outsourcing your dictation to meet your transcription needs. OutSec are both ISO 27001 and Cyber Essentials certified. These are more than logos! Their information security standards set the bar high. It takes constant review, challenge and action to receive and retain them. They therefore provide assurance that OutSec are GDPR compliant.
OutSec provides experienced specialist typists in all areas:
Why not open an account today and ask for a free trial? What do you have to lose?